Avoid Common Mistakes That Cause Heating Repairs
Mechanical Doctor, Inc. is a family owned company here in Rock Hill, SC. We have provided quality heating and air conditioning services since 2001.
From diagnosis to routine maintenance to repairs to full installations and replacements, we provide our customers with the best in services in our area.
With the recent Arctic Blast hitting the United States, the first storms of winter are around us. The temperatures are cold and the heating units all over the country have turned on. In some states they are going full-blast.
Heating problems occur the most at this time of year because the heating systems have been idle throughout the summer. It is the most likely time of year your heater will break down.
If you experience any problems with your heater, call on us for 24/7 emergency service. We will respond promptly and fix your problem so you can be warm again as soon as possible.
Here are a few things that you can do to help your home stay warm this winter.
Turn up the thermostat slowly in a cold house.
- A lot of people tend to turn the thermostat to certain temperatures when they are asleep or away from the home for temporary periods.
- If you turn your heating down while you’re at work or asleep, be sure when you are ready to heat it up again that you do it as slowly as is reasonable.
- If you turn it way up and expect your unit to respond quickly, you are expecting too much from it. The heating unit will experience too much stress and can easily break down. This is especially true if it is the first time of the season that you turn it on.
Keep the temperature setting at a certain level and leave it alone.
- Don’t mess with the temperature by constantly adjusting it. Just like the cookie jar, there may be too many hands in it!
- Your unit is set to function a certain way with periods of rest in between cycles. Be patient, your unit will cycle on again and heat your home. If it’s too hot or cold, figure out what setting is best for everyone and make sure everyone leaves it alone.
Call a repair technician if your heater isn’t reaching the temperature you want.
- Sometimes it isn’t something broken that is causing your heat not to rise to the degree you desire. It could be that your unit just doesn’t fit the space you are trying to heat or cool.
- A professional HVAC technician should be called to evaluation the condition of your system and the size of home it should sufficiently handle.
Let in the sunshine.
- The warmth of the sun does much during the day to warm your home. Be sure to let it in while you can!
Make sure all the windows and doors are firmly secured, locked, and that weather-stripping is sealing against drafts.
- Cold air often infiltrates our homes through cracks under and around doors and windows. Weather stripping should be sealing your home against the outdoor elements.
- Be sure someone hasn’t accidentally left a window open a little bit. If they are locked securely with competent weather stripping installed, you shouldn’t have cold drafts coming in.
If you do end up needing us, just give us a call at Mechanical Doctor! Take a look around our website, call and ask questions, and count on us to provide you with excellent, prompt and reliable service!